Saturday, March 21, 2009


Me, UFOs and the ‘60s

I first met George Van Tassel in 1961 at Giant Rock Airport near Landers, California. (To you UFO buffs, George Van Tassel is somewhat of a legend in the UFO field. His yearly UFO conventions at Giant Rock drew thousands of people during the 50s and 60s with major UFO figures speaking to the throngs attending.)

This meeting was my introduction to the world of unidentified flying objects. George graciously spent hours talking with me and my husband and ultimately invited us to move our small travel trailer onto the property to help him with the restaurant.

George was in the process of building the "Integratron" which, when completed, was for the purpose of healing. George did tell me that he felt time travel would be one of the benefits of the completed project. Unfortunately, George passed over before it was completed so we will never know its true purpose. The Integraton was purchased and it is my understanding it is rented out for meetings, etc. Too bad.

Daniel Boone, son-in-law to George, introduced me to the "Autobiography of a Yogi" which taught me about reincarnation, karma, meditation, and the path to self-realization. Yogananda became a household name and still is.

My years of association with Giant Rock and George set my feet on a path not only to research UFOlogy but the paranormal, the metaphysical, psychic healing and other subjects all of which were relegated to "New Age Stuff".

We left Giant Rock, moved to Los Angeles, worked, had two sons, became involved with chiropractic but never lost touch with Giant Rock. Mark, my first son, was born in Palm Springs in August of 1962 and when he was 1 year old we moved to Phoenix. From there we moved to Seattle (my hubby wasn't one for staying in one place very long) We moved back to Los Angeles and Steven my second son, was born in Englewood in 1964. In 1966 we moved back to the Landers area and were once again in close contact with George. The draw back to that area of the desert was and still is very strong.

Once again we worked with George at the restaurant and enjoyed the peace of the desert. But it wasn't in the cards for us to stay there. Daniel Boone decided to move his family to Mt. Shasta and asked us to go with him. Which is exactly what we did. More next time on the Mt. Shasta adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Good job. You know, Autobiography of a Yogi was one of my first spirtual path books too. And, Life and Teachings of the Master of the Far East series. I wish I still had that. I'd like to reread it now with all the years that have passed. I sent this link to Tom in Albuqerque.

    ReplyDelete